Diy Lip balms are a fun way to start for making homemade lip products. With a little flavor, a little flash, your lips will be very happy!
When making lip balm, the most important thing you need to take note is not to heat the butters too fast and too hot. You don’t want them to become grainy. The best way to melt butter is over low heat. Don’t let the butter melt completely on the stove. What you should do is, remove the pan from the heat when there are still some un-melted pieces of butter remain, and stir the butter until the rest of the pieces melt.
Homemade Lip Balm Recipes
(a) Shea Butter Lip Balm
With the shea butter and sweet almond oil, this balm keeps your lips soft and moist all year round.
- 1 oz (28.4g) candelilla wax
- 1.5 oz (42.5g) soy wax (or Joy Wax.)
- .5 oz (14.2g) cosmetic-grade shea butter
- .5 oz (14.2g) sweet almond oil
- .5 oz (14.2g) jojoba oil
- 1 tsp (4.9ml) your choice flavor oil
Makes 4 ounces (113.4 grams) lip balm, or enough to fill 25 (.15-ounce; 4.3-gram) lip balm tubes.
- Prepare the waxes and Shea butter and place them in a safe container in the saucepan or microwave-safe container.
- Melt the waxes and butter over low heat thru microwave or on stove. If you are using microwave, use half power for 1 minute at a time. Remember you should not overheat the butter.
- When the wax and butter start to melt, slowly add all the oils to the mixture. Remove the mixture from heat when waxes and butter are almost completely melted, stir to well mixed.
- Add lip balm flavoring, and stir until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Carefully pour into lip balm tubes or container to the top.
- Set the balm cool until harden (the cooler the room, faster the balm get harden).
Based on the above’s instruction (Shea butter lip balm), you can now make other type of lip balms with referring to the below recipes.
(b) Bee Sweet Lip Balm
With the addition of grapeseed oil, this lip balm has more conditioning than the Shea butter lip balm recipe. This version of lip balm is good to prevent chapped lips. The recipe is quite flexible and you could customize base on your case, you can omit the soy wax and increase the beeswax to 5 ounces (141.7 grams). You also can cut this recipe in half or double it.
- 3 oz. (85g) candelilla wax
- 2 oz. (56.7g) soy wax (or Joy Wax.)
- 1 oz. (28.4g) cosmetic-grade shea butter
- .5 oz. (14.2g) grapeseed oil
- .5 oz. (14.2g) sweet almond oil
- 1 oz. (28.4g) jojoba oil
- 1 tsp. (4.9ml) your choice flavor oil
This measurements of ingredients allow you to makes 8 ounces (226.8 grams) lip balm, or enough to fill 50 (.15-ounce; 4.3-gram) lip balm tubes.
(c) Buttery Lip Balm
I like this lip balm as it has all the oils mature skin needs plus the butters to heal and protect your lips. As same with the earlier recipes, you can adjust the quantity of the ingredients for example you can cut down this recipe to as little as 2 ounces or increase it to whatever size batch you want.
Take special care when melting the cocoa butter as mentioned before. If you’re unable to get Joy Wax, use white beeswax instead.
- 2 oz (56.7g) candelilla wax or Double Refined Candy
- 3 oz (85g) Joy Wax or soy wax
- .5 oz (14.2g) cocoa butter
- 1 oz (28.4g) cosmetic-grade shea butter
- .5 oz (14.2g) sweet almond oil
- .5 oz (14.2g) pumpkin seed oil or extract
- .5 oz (14.2g) your choice oil
This recipe allow you to make 8 ounces (226.8 grams), or enough to fill 50 (.15-ounce; 4.3-gram) lip balm tubes.
(d) Lip Plumper Lip Balm
This balm does a magic to plumps your lips to smooth out the fine lines—temporarily. I make it as a lip balm so you can easily apply it before you use your lipstick.
- .4 oz (11.3g) Double Refined Candy
- .5 oz (14.2g) soy wax (or Joy Wax.)
- .1 oz (2.8g) cosmetic-grade mowrah or shea butter
- .06 oz (1.7g) Hilurlip
- .3 oz (8.5g) jojoba oil
- .2 oz (5.7g) castor oil
- .3 oz (8.5g) sweet almond oil
- .15 oz (4.3g) vitamin E
This recipe allow you to make 2 ounces (56.7 grams), or enough to fill 12 (.15-ounce; 4.3-gram) lip balm tubes.
(e) Blackberry Lip Balm
- 1 teaspoon beeswax
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried blackberries, ground
- Melt the beeswax and coconut oil using a double broiler method.
- Add in the dried blackberries and stir until well mixed.
- Transfer to a container.
(f) Chocolate Cinnamon Lip Balm
- 1 tablespoon shea butter
- 1 teaspoon grated beeswax
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon almond oil
- 5 white chocolate chips
- 4 drops cinnamon extract
- Melt shea butter and beeswax using a double boiler method. Add honey and almond oil.
- Now add the rest of the ingredients. Stir to mix well.
- Quickly transfer the mixture to clean container; wait for it to solidify.