Body Scrubs are excellent for exfoliating your skin, removing dead cells, and leaving your whole body silky soft.
Have you ever treated yourself to a sugar scrub in the tub or shower? You should! It’s amazing how soft your skin feels afterward. The sugar gently removes dead skin, and the oils soften and rejuvenate the new skin.
In all these recipes, you can use sea salt in place of sugar. However please remember don’t use salt in a scrub meant to be used on the face, as salt can be too abrasive for the facial skin.
Homemade Body Scrub Recipes
(a) Cocoa Butter Brown Sugar Body Scrub
Yields: 32 ounces
- 2 oz. (56.7g) sweet almond oil
- 2 oz. (56.7g) grapeseed oil
- 1 oz. (28.4g) jojoba oil
- 2 oz. (56.7g) apricot kernel oil
- 3.3 oz. (93.6g) emulsifying wax
- 2.2 oz. (62.4g) stearic acid
- 2.5 oz. (70.9g) cocoa butter
- 1 oz. (28.4g) shea butter
- 16 oz. (453.6g) white or brown sugar
- .3 oz. (8.5g) skin-safe fragrance or essential oil
- Place the wax, stearic acid, and butters in a small stockpot, place over low heat on stove, and allow to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Add the oils and stir to mix. Remove from stove and set it cool for about 30 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar to the pot of cooled oils, stir well, and let cool some more.
- When the mixture has cooled to 110ºF (43ºC), add the preservative and fragrance or essential oil.
- Let the mixture completely cool. Using an electric mixer, whip the scrub for about 5 minutes until it’s thick and fluffy.
- Spoon scrub into sterile jars or other airtight sterile containers. If after time the scrub falls flat, just whip it
again and it will be like new.
(b) Citrus Blast Body Scrub
As we know citrus fruits are high in vitamin C, which has amazing benefits for our skin! Citrus contains natural alpha-hydroxy acids, which are known to have a lightening effect on the skin. When topically applied, vitamin C enhances the production of collagen and boosts elasticity, helping your skin retain firm and youthful appearance.
YIELDS: 11 ounces
- Zest of 1⁄2 lemon
- Zest of 1⁄2 lime
- Zest of 1⁄2 orange
- 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp of fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp of fresh orange juice
- 1 cup of sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup of grapeseed oil
- Place the citrus zest and juices into a bowl.
- Add sea salt and grapeseed oil and blend the ingredients together with a fork until you have a uniform consistency.
- Transfer the scrub to a sealed container in the refrigerator and use up within a week.
(c) Sugar Chai Honey Scrub
YIELDS: 20 ounces
- 1⁄2 cup Chai Spice–Infused Oil
- 1⁄4 cup sweet almond oil, or favorite carrier oil
- 1⁄8 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 tsp of ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 tsp of ground ginger (dried, not fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup raw unpasteurized honey
- 1⁄2 cup almond meal
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- Put oils, spices, and honey into a medium-size mixing bowl and mix them with a fork until well blended.
- Add the almond meal and stir to mix. Then add the brown sugar and stir until you have a consistent texture.
- Store this scrub in a sealed jar in a cool dark place, out of direct sunlight. Make sure no water get into it and it could be stored for about 1 year.
(d) Herb Garden Body Scrub
Fresh garden herbs are a real treat for your skin. They are rich in vitamins and nutrients and have a variety of skincare and aromatherapy benefits. For this recipe, you can use any of the culinary herbs or flowers you have on hand, such as rosemary, parsley, basil, sage, rose petals, lavender flowers and more. Pick something fresh from your garden or use something in the fridge! In addition, sea salt can gently remove dull, dry, dead skin while re-mineralizing your skin. It also helps preserve fresh herbs for a longer shelf life.
YIELDS: 16 ounces
- 1⁄2 cup freshly chopped herbs
- 1 cup sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place the chopped herbs, salt, and oil into a small mixing bowl. Blend the ingredients together with a fork until you have a uniform consistency.
- Store this scrub in a sealed container in the refrigerator and use up within 3–4 weeks.
(e) Simple Coconut Body Scrub
This is simpler and basic body scrub recipe compare with the above recipe.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix half a cup of coconut oil with one cup of brown sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add a tsp of vanilla extract, stir to mix.
- Apply the mixture to damp body. Gently exfoliate in small, circular motions. Rinse with warm water.